On Tuesday, May 23rd and Wednesday, May 24th, Central Regional School District, hosted by the Central Regional Education Association, opened its doors to community members for the Teacher for a Day program. Teacher for a Day is a program where legislators, town council representatives, board of education members, parents, police, business owners, and other members of the community are invited into a school to fully immerse themselves in the everyday activities of a teacher. It is an excellent opportunity for people outside of the education world to get a unique and personal perspective in dealing with caring for society’s most precious asset: our children. Additionally, community members get a first-hand experience of some of the daily responsibilities educators face on a regular basis like attendance, paperwork, copies, school policy, and others.
For the 2016-2017 school year, Central Regional hosted teacher for a day and invited several people to come for a unique and exciting experience for all. This year’s participants were:
- Central Regional Board of Education President Tracy Mianulli who experienced middle school language arts teacher Wendy Vacante’s classes.
- Tuckerton Chief of Police Michael Caputo who experienced middle school social studies teacher Matt Del Prete’s classes.
- Central Regional Board of Education member Susan Cowdrick who experienced high school Chemistry teacher Lynn Sweezo’s classes.
- Island Heights Town Council President Steve Berglund who experienced high school Algebra teacher Jaime Cestare’s classes.
- Central Regional Chief Academic Officer Tom Gallahue who experienced for high school English teacher Mary Lou Gere’s classes.
Overall the event was a huge success. Community members got to learn just a small bit of what a teacher has to deal with on a daily basis and host teachers got to experience showing a community member how we operate at Central Regional School District. On behalf of the Central Regional Education Association, we thank all host teachers and community members for taking time out of their busy schedule to make this event so meaningful for all!