1. State-Mandated PD Videos: Certificated members and paras should consider utilizing the time being offered during the weeks of April 24 and May 8, in which we can be excused from one day of office hours each week. The date for completion has been extended to June 15.
2. Classroom Changes: The recent memo from the superintendent led to some confusion about classroom changes. Anyone who will be moving to a new classroom next year is going to be notified in early May, not June 15.
3. Benecard: After hearing our concerns in March, Benecard will be sending representatives to both the HS and MS faculty meetings on May 17. We will be sending out a follow-up survey to everyone to provide them with newer data beforehand.
4. Lakewood Rally: Lakewood EA is asking for members to rally at their next Board of Ed meeting on April 26 at 7:15 p.m. in the Lakewood High School Auditorium.
Here’s what they are facing: 119 certified staff being cut; no after school sports, activities, or clubs; no summer programs; no elementary guidance counselors; and an average class size of 50 students next year. Several members from Lakewood attended some of our rallies last year when we were in need.
5. Upcoming Workshops/Training:
- OCCEA Legislative Dinner: May 11 at the Toms River Ramada Inn. RSVP by April 19, let me know if you would like to attend.
- NJEA Summer Leadership Conference: Three-day programs available in August. Please contact me if you are interested.
6. Rice Notice Reminder: The only Rice Notices we need to worry about are hard copy (printed) notices, not email notices. The email notices are only sent when your name will appear on the Board agenda. The hard copy means the Board will be discussing terms and conditions of your employment in executive session.
7. Senate PARCC Bill:There is a resolution in the State Senate to eliminate PARCC as a graduation requirement because it is inconsistent with the intent of Public Law 1979. Click hereto contact your Senate representative to urge them to support SCR-132.
Have a relaxing break!